- Cameron waking up in the middle of the night almost every night now
- Not eating his food
- Hitting
- Not accepting comfort (i.e., hugs/cuddling when upset) - he pushes you away
- Tantrums
I guess I'm just feeling a little worn out. It seems like nothing we are doing is very effective. If he hits, we tell him no and he does it again. Firm voices make him laugh. This would all be kind of funny if it wasn't so maddening. The waking in the night is tough, because a bottle is almost the only thing that will get him to sleep again.
He's lucky that he's so damned cute....

2 comments:
I have 2 suggestions.
There are 2 options with the bottle. The first is to change from milk to water in the bottle. You are still offering him the option to suckle, but often not getting milk in the bottle is enough to make it not appealing. The second is to tell him that bottles are all gone. Remove them from where you keep them and put them away. He may look for them, cry, and fuss. This is how my sister was weaned from a bottle.
As far as hitting, I have had problems with Ben biting and hitting. With each of them he cries if I tell him no in a firm voice as well. I tell him 3 times each time telling "this is your 1st/2nd warning, if you hit again you will be on cool off (our time out consequence)" On the third time, I tell him "We don't hit. That was warning three." I then put him down in a spot and walk away. Being as young as he is, he doesn't stay, but he usually gets upset and tries to follow me. This often stops the unwanted behavior temporarily. Another thing that has helped us with hitting is when he hits us we tell him "gentle hands" and show him how to be gentle with us.
Hope that helps and things get easier.
Thanks for the advice. I was wondering how to start doing time-outs, so this is exactly what I was looking for!
Post a Comment